Instead of spicing up the caves, I worked on the shaders in the caves. Players can light up a cave by simply having a torch in his/her hand. Torches can obviously be placed down as well.
I'm going to have a video up tomorrow showing a bit of cave exploration. Sorry about the short post, I'll go more into depth in the video.
Today, I made huge leaps of progress in terms of the underground area. I'm not sure if I explained this in my last post, but I plan to have the underground world made up of 5 or 6 sections, each getting progressively more valuable minerals, as well as dangerous monsters. Today, I have created 3 of those levels.
I have also incorporated caves, as well as more ores, such as iron.
Tomorrow, I plan on spicing up these caves with stalagmites and stalactites, as well as smoothing out the stone textures, as they look very block-like.
Until next time!
Today I'm implementing a new system for optimization that literally uses chunks, and I'm going to explain how it works.
Using GameMaker: Studio, a higher instance count (how many things are in the room) translates to a higher drop in performance. My method cuts the amount of instances, quite literally, into four, using chunks. Blocks in Crevis are 32x32 pixels. It takes 2,040 blocks to fill an entire room... which, you can probably imagine, can get very laggy. So, I'm implementing a system that uses 64x64 blocks, which takes 510 blocks to fill a room. When the player comes closer to the chunks (64x64 blocks) they turn into a set of 4 32x32 blocks.
Hopefully that makes sense.
Until next time, everyone!
Today, Nesus's Kickstarter was fully funded by 2 people several hours before the campaign ended, which is superb! We had several complications, however. As you may know, Nesus was merged with Crevis a few weeks ago, and work on Nesus ceased. I wasn't sure if they still wanted to back the project now that it had changed, so I contacted them both. They both agreed to continue funding the project, which was awesome! This money is most likely going to go toward music and code extensions.
Until next time, everybody! (the next post will have some game content)
Sorry about the lack of a post yesterday, it was a very busy day for me and my family.
Today, I've been contemplating some things about the handmade world. In the world, I have massive chunks that are separated from each other. These chunks are initially 108 blocks (x) by 64 blocks (y). I have foreseen that the tiny amount of blocks on the y axis may be restricting for large buildings, like multiple story towers, or huge tree houses. So, I have allowed the player to surpass the y axis block boundary (with the help of someone on the YoYoGames forum) so that the amount of blocks you can place on the y axis is, theoretically speaking, infinite. It is, however, not infinite, because there are restrictions like memory that the game can't control.
Now, as the y border is theoretically infinite, I've decided to add a boundary very high into the sky so that the player doesn't end up crashing. This way, people can build tall and exotic builds and still won't crash.
I have also realized that the x border may be just as restrictive, but people can extend their builds on the x axis by simply entering the next chunk.
I hope you can make sense of this little tidbit.
Until next time!
February's task is to improve the combat system and create a system for enemies and their AI.
The author of the blog is Niften, or Sour Apple. He posts weekly, usually on the weekends on Saturday.