Today was full of advancements within the engine. In the morning I decided to tackle fall damage, which of course led to some kind of health system. When working on fall damage, I also took it upon myself to improve the player physics, as I was a bit bothered while testing fall damage - I jumped off a tall pole of dirt and fell to the ground with no sort of acceleration. So, I decided to incorporate acceleration and terminal velocity (which is set at about ~70 blocks per second). I then incorporated the improved falling physics into the fall damage system, making it so that velocity affects damage. This makes it possible to add gliders with no damage at all, or dropping a measly two blocks to be instantly killed. (Completely unrelated, but I also added a small tag by the hotbar that shows which item you have selected in the color of its rarity).
However, after testing for a prolonged period of time, I found myself with negative health in many situations, which brought me to create a death screen. The death screen chooses from a number of different messages and displays them. I also created a player state machine so that I can set the player to be in different states - different states execute different scripts. Right now, the only two states are playerDead and playerActive.
Aside from all of that, I also managed to align chunks correctly, regardless of the generation settings. This is a big step for biomes, as it allows me to generate chunks with radically different settings and still have them be in line with each other.
Until next time, folks!
February's task is to improve the combat system and create a system for enemies and their AI.
The author of the blog is Niften, or Sour Apple. He posts weekly, usually on the weekends on Saturday.