This is the post that was meant for yesterday... I'll post again today. Sorry! Today I completed full interaction with the tiles so that they seem like regular blocks. The player can now collide with the tiles like any other blocks. This was a bit tricky because I had to play around with the bbox object variables, which deal with the collision mask. However, I've noticed that its had some impact on performance, but not really a noticeable impact. I've sent copies of the game to several people to test its performance on their computers.
Other than finishing the collisions, I've also been making modifications to the inventory system, and I've noticed a few bugs and a huge flaw in the way it was made. The inventory opens and checks the ini files that store its information every tick of the game. For those that don't know, checking files isn't a light task. The chunk system saves/loads from its files whenever you leave/enter a new chunk. That's how the inventory should be - it should save when an inventory is closed and loaded when an inventory is opened. There's no need for it to update every tick. This has a serious impact on performance, and fps can drop below a hundred. I don't think a full rewrite will be necessary, but I will rewrite the portions of the inventory system that need to be rewritten. It's still a very flexible system but it needs optimizations for it to be the optimal system in the new Crevis, which is centered around performance.
Until next time (later today)!
February's task is to improve the combat system and create a system for enemies and their AI.
The author of the blog is Alec. He posts weekly, usually on the weekends on Saturday.