The chunk system is pretty much done. Right now, I'm working on optimizing the system, and I've been having some troubles, hence why I have not posted in a few days. The game starts off completely lag-free, and as time goes on the fps tanks. This is most likely due to a memory leak or something of the sort, and I'm still trying to fix it. It's definitely not an issue with the way I'm handling chunkloading, because I'm sure using ds_grids is the fastest way to do something like this. Other than working on optimizations I've also been prepping the chunk system for the move over to the engine, because I've been working on the chunk system on a separate project. Part of preparation was getting textures slapped onto those blocks. I still have to add foliage but it looks pretty good so far.
I have also completed several scripts that are key to collisions with tiles:
If any are familiar with GameMaker's language GML, these two scripts act like the function place_meeting. Overall, I'm very happy with the progress I've made this month on the chunk system, and hopefully next month I can fully integrate the system and start creating biomes.
Until next time!
February's task is to improve the combat system and create a system for enemies and their AI.
The author of the blog is Niften, or Sour Apple. He posts weekly, usually on the weekends on Saturday.