I have spent the last four days organizing data structures a lot of the messy code in the game, making it easier to create new content. I also made an adjustment to chunk saving to allow for more data to be saved - chunks are now saved within ini files. This allows me to save other things like metadata and multiple chunk layers within the same file. Metadata is also something I have really wanted to incorporate with the chunk system, because there are still objects that cannot be saved as tiles - chests, crafting tables, etc.
I made a separate ds_grid for background blocks and also am going to make a separate grid for metadata - not sure if this is the most efficient way of doing this, but I'll try. Here's a screenshot of the background blocks -
Not the best showcase, but I wanted to have some kind of screenshot for you guys... haven't posted anything interesting for a while.
Until next time!
February's task is to improve the combat system and create a system for enemies and their AI.
The author of the blog is Alec. He posts weekly, usually on the weekends on Saturday.